Welcome to Kaunas, the city which has mostly preserved the national character of the country, it offers plenty of activities to everyone.
Visit the hearth of Lithuania and experience its unique atmosphere:
- Feast here! Kaunas is home to a variety of festivals and events, including the famous Kaunas Jazz festival, Hanza days, Operetta, Pažaislis Classical Music festival, Bike show, Kaunas city days, Songs festival (listed by UNESCO), International Modern Dance Festival and much more.
- Visit! The remarkable Old Town which is a collection of ancient architectural monuments: the remnants of the 14th century with remains of Kaunas castle, the buildings of the Middle Ages in the Gothic and the Art Déco styles. The Kaunas Fortress is a valuable military heritage composed of a number of constructions that used to be a military complex. There are nine Forts around the city and the Ninth Fort serves a museum. The macabre collection of nearly 3,000 devils at the Devils’ Museum and the exhibitions showing the unique artistic styles of composer and painter M. K. Ciurlionis, as well as J. Maciunas initiator of the avant-garde Fluxus art movement.
- Taste it! The centrepiece of Lithuanian cuisine is dark rye bread. It is shown a great respect and even called “holy” and Lithuanians link many beliefs and magic with it. The great opportunity to taste it is to have soup in a bread bowl. Lithuanian drinks have very old traditions, to get to know them the “Stumbras” museum offers a guided tour of the history and tasting of strong drinks. Among the multitude of things that make any Lithuanian swell with pride (rich history, amber, beautiful nature, basketball, etc.), there is one that has a special place in his heart. This source of pride is the Lithuanian Beer.
- Make a wish! The beautiful confluence of two biggest Lithuanian rivers is well known for a magical saying – the Nemunas river is a male and the Neris is a female. The meeting of two rivers is considered as a marriage of a couple. Two rivers meet in Kaunas, they join and never split up! For those who want their dreams to come true it‘s a right place to go on rendezvous.
- See it! The whole Lithuania in one place is in the open air museum in Rumšiškės, which is the biggest open air museum in Eastern Europe. The museum with its collection of authentic wooden villages represents different regions of Lithuania: Zemaitija, Aukstaitija, Dzukija, Suvalkija and Lithuania Minor.
- Ride on it! The Funicular – a unique means of transportation, is still in use today, including the genuine pre-war wagon, wooden seats, and stop platforms. Even today the funicular takes people up to the hill, from which the panorama of the Kaunas city centre and Old town is wide open. Kaunas is the only city among Baltic States, where such means of transportation is available.
- Sail! The biggest man-made water basin in Lithuania, which is surounded by a wonderful landscape. Kaunas Sea is a perfect place for water activities. So see you on the deck!
If you want to feel the real Lithuanian spirit, visit Kaunas and discover it.
The hearth of Lithuanian culture, tradition and history is just waiting to be discovered.
For more information, visit Kaunas Tourism Information Center here.